14.7.10

My Favourite Music

In general, mainstream music bores me after a while. I just can't listen to a popular song more than five times without starting to feel a little sick of it. Mainstream pop is too shallow, too sharp. There's no depth to it.
Depth, I love thee.
Here are the musicians whose music has impressed me, touched me, moved me, and more. I haven't named all my favourite musicians, and indeed, there are many more out there for me to discover. But as of now, here's my list of favourites...

1. Raygun => Though they've broken up (boohoo!), their first (and only) album still entertains my family and I whenever we listen to it. Awesome bass notes, great rhythms, great lyrics, and a cool image. All around brilliance. =) If you can find their music online, or if you spot their album in a store, do take the time to pick it up. It's completely worth it.

2. She & Him => I fell in love with the song "In the Sun" and have been hooked ever since. Very light and breezy and feel-good, I love them!

3. Mika => Two albums. Two albums! And both worth listening to. He just has such catchy, fun, bouncy songs. It's impossible not to love him, unless you have no taste, or if you're totally old-fashioned or Justin Bieber-oriented. xp

4. Colbie Caillat => Hear one of her songs and you imagine sunny Californian beaches. Her sound is so carefree and light and summery. Who wouldn't love the "bubbly" Ms. Caillat?

5. The Click Five => I love them! And not just because the entire band is made up of insanely cute guys. =p Their music is really good too. I was a fan for a while when my dad heard Headlight Disco on the radio and he was hooked too. When my dad likes something, it's truly worth liking.

6. Jason Castro => I loved him on American Idol and fell in love with him again when I heard his song... "Let's Just Fall In Love Again". Of course, Jason, I'll fall in love with you a thousand times over! He's just so cool with his dreadlocks and beach music vibe. Another artist who reminds me of beaches and summer and cool ocean blue.

7. The Ting Tings => Great bass lines and great drums. You just can't help grooving along to their songs. And their drums are nice deep "boom" ones too, not shallow "tsk" ones which I can't stand. Awesome awesome awesome.

8. The Scissor Sisters => There's just something about them that I can't quite put my finger on. I love their music, it's so different and quirky and just plain great.

9. Kyle Patrick => The current lead singer for The Click Five, he's ventured into a solo project on the side, making songs he's written available to the public. His kind of music is more acoustic and heartfelt than the band's and I just love it. My tastes vary a lot, in case you haven't already noticed. It helps that he's cute too. xD Support his solo project by downloading his album!

10. Joss Stone => Her voice has all the depth necessary to make me a fan. Such soul! I love her version of "Son of a Preacher Man". Rock the house, Joss!

11. The Script => Their songs are just lovely. So nice to listen to when you're feeling down, just because you can identify with the lyrics... the music's awesome too.

12. Adele => In my humble opinion, she has the best voice in the world! It's so rich and soulful and... oh! Just go and listen to her, won't you? I can't describe how amazing, awesome, astounding, great she is!

13. Sa Dingding => The ONLY Asian artist on my favourites list. I hate cheesy J-Pop and K-Pop but she's just... wow. Her sound is really ethereal and sends chills up your spine. Go listen to her song Ha Ha Li Li. Mmmm, I get chills up my spine everytime I hear it.

14. Nick Jonas => I am no JoBro fanatic, but I have to say, I like Nick's sound. When I first heard the song Who I Am, it raised Nick in my esteem, and I'm a WAY bigger fan of him than I would ever be of the Jonas Brothers.

15. James Morrison => OOOOOOOH! James, James. He can make anyone fall in love with him, just by singing one of his songs. Please, go listen to him. His lyrics, his guitar riffs, his music just... oh, wow.

16. MGMT => My dad introduced me to them, and I'm so hooked! My dad knows my tastes in music well. =) Their music is so contemporary and different and I can't help but fall in love with them. MGMT fan all the way!

And last but DEFINITELY not least...

17. Jeff Buckley => Oh my goodness. I was only a year old when he passed on, but my dad (I can't thank him enough!) had his album, Grace, and played it on the car radio. I couldn't have been more than 7 years old, but since then, Hallelujah has been my indisputable favourite song ever. I insisted that the song was played every time we got in the car, and now that I have an MP3 player, Hallelujah has the proud honour of being the first song in my list of 15 favourites. (I might write a post about my faves someday, there's an idea...) Hallelujah, Jeff, my your soul live on with the angels forever and ever, and may your voice grace the halls of heaven until the universe Itself comes to an end.

And on that note, dear reader, I shall leave you now. Hallelujah, hallelujah...

No comments: